Monday, January 24, 2011

Friday Morning

There was a wide, dusky violet shadow encircling the horizon, rising up into the pink of a clear, fresh sunrise.  My heart held it's breath as I remembered how sublime a sunrise is over the mountains.  A smile crept over my face as I remembered the comfortable security I always found by looking up.  The visible reminder of the majesty of my God.  I remember memorizing Psalm 121 and intentionally associating it with any one of the three mountains surrounding my home.  In moments of frustration, or anger, or confusion, I couldn't help but look at one of them.  And remember.  My help comes from the Lord.  It's been a long time since I've seen something like this.  Too long.  Except that I drive this road every day.  Then it hits me.

They aren't mountains.  At all.  Just clouds.  No mountains.  Low, poofy, purple clouds.  I'm not in Shenandoah country anymore.  Nor am I in Kujukushima waters.  This is the Mid-West.  It's flat.  Open.  Exposed.

The sunrise is still beautiful.  Notable simply because of the scarcity of sunrises in the past three months.  It eases the disappointment a little.

I lift up my eyes to the hills.
From where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord,
Who made heaven and earth.
Ps. 121:1-2

1 comment:

The Raven's Landing said...

they are too mountains! it's a whole different world, in which time moves at a different pace. Every morning an entire universe lives and dies and goes to heaven while the sun is rising (assuming it was a cloudy night, of course) If you could _get_ to the Cloud Mountains you could have an entire adventure--help a kingdom rise or fall, and then live out your days in peace, happiness and sunshine...and then come back and just be a couple minutes further into the sunrise than you were when you left.