Monday, March 21, 2011

Spring Break

Nicholas's spring break came in early March this year.  It's a little strange, coming from the work world, to suddenly have a week of mandated vacation, but hey, we'll take it.  Spring break happened to come just after the "We've been in MI for 7 months" point, which allowed me to feel justified in heading out of state for a while.  And since Hawaii is a bit out of our price range right now, where else could we go but Virginia?

Let me just go on record here and say that it was so good to be back.  It felt like going home.  The familiar streets, restaurants, license plates.  I surprised myself with how well I could navigate (or even give directions) in L-burg.  Many thanks to Nick & Abby for their hospitality.  I loved that we only had to say goodbye to them once, since every night we were back at their lovely home.  

Also, I have to say that the life of a social butterfly is extremely fun.  At least, when done in short spurts.  We had lunch dates, dinner dates, coffee dates and even some that didn't include food of any kind.  I loved catching up with as many people as we could.  Seeing how God is working in someone's life is always exciting, but it is even more so when you hear it over and over from each person you talk to.  We stopped by the office and even the 4 hours we were there weren't long enough.  

At church, it was so funny to watch as people kept doing double-takes.  "Oh, hi!  How are you?" followed by  "Wait a minute... you're not supposed to be here!"  And then, of course, the guy who said, "Hey, haven't seen you guys for quite a while.  Have you been going somewhere else?"  

Of course, another funny moment resulted from my own forgetfulness.  The morning we left, Nicholas and I were both busy packing last minute items and getting snacks together for the road trip.  In a burst of inspiration, I tossed a bag of popcorn in the microwave thinking, "Popcorn is good cold.  And we can put it in a plastic bag and eat it in the car when we get the munchies."  Great idea, no?  Fast forward about, oh, five days.  Nicholas opened the microwave to re-heat something.

"Um... Dear?  I found our popcorn."

2 comments:

The Raven's Landing said...

lol-yay popcorn! Was it any good? 5 days later? growing up, we would forget whatever was in the microwave-be it corn or biscuits or whatever, and find it after dinner. whoops. it was good to see you and have you!

Rhyme said...

lol - Yes, Nicholas ate it and said it wasn't bad. I expected it to have gone stale, but he said it really didn't.